Thursday, June 21, 2012

Shanghai Random

This boy was begging in the Nanjing train station. We were waiting for our train to go back to Shanghai. We did not give him any money. We gave him a piece of bubble gum and let him watch cartoons with Isaiah. His feet were totally black from dirt. His clothes were stinky and filthy. We noticed a man that stayed within 25 yards of him at all times. On occasion the boy would bring change to him that he had found/collected. We just hope the man was the boy's father. 

This is our view out of our Shanghai hotel window. This was at about 6 in the morning and traffic was light. Usually it is bumper to bumper. However, at midnight, I looked out and I did not see ONE car. Dax and I watched for a bit and then we saw a truck with a water tank driving slowly on the road. A man was walking by the truck holding a hose spraying off the roads. I'm sure glad I don't have to do that for a living. Wow! So, we suppose they close the roads for street cleaning by hand/hose at night. 

The closest things to pancakes in Shanghai. Isaiah never put his plastic fork down!

Isaiah playing pokemon in Starbucks on his DS. 

Ahhh! Junk food from McDonald's! Whew!

A must have to get around in the cities.

This is actually an electric bike. They are the most common form of transportation in my opinion. I saw more of these than anything. There were some mopeds/small motorcycles, tons of taxis, and other public transportation, but these electric bikes are everywhere. I think I need one of these!

Just an alley on our LONGGGGGG walk to the Bund.  All of these pictures were taken on the way to the Bund. 

Sugar Cane Juicer Bike.  He put the cane in the "machine"--turned the crank, and wahlah! Sugar Cane Juice.  I did not like it. Yep, too sweet. 

This pictures does not do this woman's work justice. I have a video of it, too. She had these big frogs and some would still hop around. So, she would grab a frog and throw it as hard as she could on the pavement over and over until it quit hopping away. Then, she would cut it all up with scissors, sort the parts in the pans of water to the side and keep on going. Fast process. Again, I wish I could have somehow posted the smells on my blog, too. 

Notice bamboo poles sticking out of apartment windows drying clothes. 

This man walked with this crutch. Since his left leg was much shorter, his foot would fit on that small pedal in order to walk. We noticed lots of different types of crutches, particularly in People's Park. 

More food. 

Cutting up seafood and stuff. 

We saw snake, eel, and all kinds of things like that. 

Just an alley...

My mom would have gone nuts in all the art supply stores. We saw as many stores selling paint brushes as we saw  stores selling chicken feet. 

Big brushes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment