Friday, June 15, 2012

Travel Day from Hong Kong to Nanjing


On Dragon Air flight from Hong Kong to Shanghai
Food on the plane--I thought this melon was sushi or something. The white melon was delicious! Do you know what those white long small spoon like things are for that came with our meal? I was thinking, "Great, something other than chop sticks." LOL. We didn't figure out what they were until we looked over at the guy sitting next to Isaiah. They are gum scrapers to use after you eat. 

Bullet train from Shanghai to Nanjing. Maxed out at 300 km/hr.  I wish I could have captured all that we saw between Shanghai and Nanjing from our view on the train. 

A squat toilet experience in the Shanghai train station. I was so excited because it actually was in a  stall with a door. The door even had a hook on it that I could hang my backpack on that contained my Clorox wipes, regular wipes, and toilet paper. Then, I discovered what was wrong with the situation at hand. There is a space under the wall on both the right and the left. This caused issues with other women's urine splashing over onto my legs. So, they must have not been Chinese ladies on either side of me or something. I bet they don't splash. The other issue was that the door was so close to the toilet that my knees would push it open. However, there was some more good news. The door was so short that I could actually reach up and hold onto the top of with my fingertips...much easier this way so I wouldn't fall down or in. So, I did Clorox the splatter from the other people off my legs. Eww...One thing I did find impressive is the cleanliness of this restroom. There were 3 people squatting by the place you wash your hands (with only water, no soap or towels or air to dry your hands). They held a tool like you clean off your car windshields with and a bucket. They would clean the squat toilet area immediately after you used it. Interesting. Note--this was the ONLY time I saw this. 

Isaiah asleep on the bullet train.

This was taken from the backseat of our taxi from the Nanjing train station to our hotel. This taxi is basically  the size of a Toyota Corolla. Dax, Isaiah, and I sat in the back seat. Our 3 large suitcases kind of fit in the trunk, but of course, the trunk lid was wide open. The driver actually used a shoe string to tie it down. So, there we were, the 3 of us in the backseat of a Nanjing taxi with a definite language barrier. This ride was one we will never forget. It rivaled any amusement park ride imaginable. You should have seen the look of terror on Isaiah's face. I imagine our faces mirrored his. What an amazing memory! 



No comments:

Post a Comment